R Kitchen-A charming Rutledge Ave. Café


What can I possibly say about  R Kitchen? It is definitely one of the new-yet undiscovered-gems, that are beginning to take over the casual food movement on the Charleston Peninsula. It is an absolutely delightful little café on Rutledge Avenue, sitting anonymously across the street from: Fuel. If you have ever been to Europe; this place has the look and feel of a small family run café somewhere out in the countryside.

When you walk in, you are struck with the coziness of the space, and how the kitchen is front-and-center. There are no tables inside, but instead two long wooden bars at which people are to perch. There are, however, a half-dozen tables outside on a back patio that is completely shaded in by massive Oak trees (can you say ROMANTIC LUNCH?!?).  My sister and I sat on the patio and ordered lunch today.

It was wonderful. Everything was expertly prepared and thoughtfully plated. We ordered a duck and brie sandwich, a baby bella and fontina sandwich, with sides of Brussels sprouts, and mac and cheese. We shared everything so we could get a good feel for the food. The only fault I can find is that they squirted a little mustard over the tops of the sandwiches,  which looked pretty, but made for a messy time trying to hold the bread. But now I know for next time to have them leave that off.
Bella and Fontana sandwich.  Yummy!

This little place, and the food they serve, took me back to a little café in Belgium of which I was super fond. I will be returning again and often. 


 


Comments

Popular Posts