Curried Carrot Soup

Today it is very chilly here in Charleston, and I have been very sick, so I am laying low inside the house. This means that I am getting very bored. When I get board, I usually end up in the kitchen cooking something. Lately,though, I've been trying to eat more healthfully-so cooking is a bit more of a challenge. I decided to get out my blender ( I have a Vitamix Machine), and make a 'creamy' soup.

About 5 miles from where I used to live in California was Grimway Farms. They are a huge producer of organic carrots. I used to love to go down the hill to their little farmstand shack by the road and pick up there carrots now and again. I can still buy them here in Charleston, but I have to go to Whole Foods for them-which is never a hardship! Carrots are one of my most favorite foods: Needless to say-I ALWAYS have a large amount of fresh organic carrots in my fridge. I settled on an idea today for Curried Carrot soup. I didn't have a recipe when I started, but after adding a bit of "this and that" I have a very good recipe to share with everyone! Cook Joyfully!



Curried Carrot Soup

2 Lbs. carrots-peeled and trimmed and cut into 2 inch chunks
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. all purpose Flour
1 cup diced onion
1 Rib celery-diced
1 Tbs. red or yellow curry paste (Powder works too)
1 clove garlic-crushed and minced
1 tsp. each: cumin, coriander, garam masala, and turmeric
1 Qt. chicken(or veggie) stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
Place the onions, celery, garlic, and all the spices into a stock pot with the olive oil. Saute over medium heat until the onion are softened and translucent.Add the flour and stir the mixture until all the onions are coated and look a little sticky. Add the stock and whisk the mixture until smooth, then add in the carrots. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the soup to a simmer, and allow to cook about 10 minutes-just long enough to soften the carrots, but not cook them through. Remove the soup from the stove and (reserving the liquid) strain the solids into a blender. Add a little cooking liquid and puree the mix on high until very smooth and very creamy. Pour the pureed mix back into the remaining cooking liquid and cook gently until the soup is thickened slightly and very creamy in texture. Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper.

Serve with a little unflavored yogurt, or sour cream. You can also sprinkle with a few chives, or croutons for crunch.

Comments

Popular Posts