Dolmas

If you've been wondering where I've been of late, it is because I took a summer hiatus in order to move to Northern California. I have spent the summer exploring San Francisco, Sacramento, and the Wine Country!

Now that I have a new home, I was contemplating going back to my old BLOG at www.theenlightenedchef.blogspot.com but I have decided to stick with this address, as I am a southern Chef by training, and frankly, I just love this blog!

With all that said, today I started cooking again. I was feeling adventurous, so I made something that I have never attempted before; Dolmas. This is one of those foods that is slightly labor intensive, so be sure that you have a lot of time before you get started. here is the recipe:

Dolmas (Greek Stuffed Grape Leaves)


 16oz. jar of grape leaves-drained and rinsed of excess salt
1 1/2 cups ground lamb (pork works in a pinch)
2 cups finely minced onions
1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped dill
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
juice of one lemon

Mix everything together in a large non-reative bowl.

Line the bottom of a wide pot (a dutch oven works best) with a layer of grape leaves.

Stuff the Grape leaves one at a time. Place each leaf vein side up on a clean surface. Put 1-2 tablespoons of filling on the leaf nearest the stem. Fold the stem over the stuffing, then fold the two sides in and roll up the leaf like a small burrito. Place in a single tight layer in the pot, seam side down-repeat with a second layer if you need to.


Yes, that's me and my hands!

Drizzle a little olive oil over the dolmas, and add 2 cups of chicken broth.

Cover the top with another layer of grapes leaves. Place a heatproof plate on top to weight the dolmas down. Cover the pot, and simmer over low heat 35-40 minutes. There should be nearly no liquid left when they are done.

Serve hot, or refrigerate and serve cold later. These little guys keep 5-7 days in an airtight container.
Displaying IMG_1739.JPG
Cooked and ready to go in "mah bellay"!


Comments

Popular Posts