Korean Style Deviled Eggs

If you have been following me on Instagram or Facebook, then you would already know that I am currently fascinated with all foods Korean. I have loved Korean cuisine for a very long time, but it has always been sort of an exotic mystery of ingredients for me. Last week I finally bit the bullet and started thumbing through a few cook books, and trolling Youtube, and the internet at large for recipes and techniques.

I started with a recipe for Bulgogi (I'll publish that recipe at a later date). After dinner I had a lot of leftover Banchan; the little side dishes of veggies, pickles, and various savory things that make a Korean meal come together. One of the things I had leftover was a soybean paste dipping sauce: Ssamjang.

I have already found a few "Western" uses for it besides an accompaniment for Bulgogi. It is a yummy dip for crudité, a fabulous topping for grilled portabello mushroom caps, and this morning I used my leftover Ssamjang in place of the mayo in my deviled eggs. They came out so yummy, that I thought a "share" was in order. Yes, if you are not a Korean person this recipe will probably require a trip to your local Asian market, but I assure you this sauce is so worth the effort! Ssamjang is loaded with goodness, and has significantly less fat than mayo. ENJOY!!!

Korean Deviled Eggs
3 hardboiled eggs-cooled, peeled, split lengthwise
2 Tbs. soybean dipping sauce (Ssamjang-recipe below)
   Scoop the yolks from the eggs into a nonreative bowl. Mix in the Ssamjang, and beat with a fork    until you've reached your desired smoothness. Refill the eggs whites with the yolk mix and serve.

Ssamjang
1/4 Korean soybean paste (Doenjang)
2 Tbs. Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
1 garlic clove-crushed and finely minced
1 green onion very thinly sliced
2 tsp. honey
1 Tbs. sesame oil
1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
   Mix everything together in a nonreactive bowl. Chill for a couple of hours before using to allow the flavors to come together. Stir and serve. Keeps in the fridge for up to one week.

Comments

Popular Posts