My New Adventure

It has been a long time since I’ve written a post. Truthfully, dear readers, for the past four years I’ve just been existing, and not really living. After moving to San Diego, I realized very quickly that Pastry Chef jobs were few and far between, so I took a “job” as a third level baker for a retirement village, since a high paying position was unavailable for the foreseeable future.

It was a complete disaster. I came to learn very quickly that I have way too much experience and culinary knowledge to work as a low-level cook for anyone else. After 7 months of drudgery, I quit in complete disgust and loathing. I came away with a very valuable lesson though; a 4 star chef, who has been exposed to the culinary experiences of working in Europe and Japan, should NEVER try to lower oneself to working for people who have no idea what actual food is.

Somehow I actually scored the Pastry Chef position for Market Restaurant and Bar in Del Mar, California. This was one of the most stressful experiences of my life. It was like working inside a pressure cooker, on the surface of the Sun while it was EXPLODING!!! I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks. While I may have needed to loose weight, I do not recommend the stress-induced diet to any human soul.

I then accepted a position as the Pastry Chef for a wonderful gluten-free café and bakery with two locations in San Diego county. I had never baked gluten-free before, but I was up for the challenge. I baked up a storm! The best part of the job was that I could expand upon my cake decorating skills, as this lovely bakery had a reputation for specialty birthday and wedding cakes. It was a wonderful position and I worked for a wonderful Chef, Anthony Rodriguez, with whom I had a great professional and mutual respect.





Sadly, though, the business model being in such a small niche market just couldn’t stay afloat. The entire operation and both cafés shuttered about a year ago, but being an ever enterprising Chef, I landed squarely on both feet.

I applied, interviewed, and accepted a position as a Chef Instructor with an operation that has locations all over North America. I have been a Chef Instructor for almost a year, now, and I have realized my my dream.

I walk into my classroom kitchen five days a week, and teach everything from French Macaroon and croissants, to Japanese sushi and Thai cuisines. I live to see people’s eyes light up when they see their perfect pastries, that they made with my help, come out of the oven. I live to see the smiles of my students when they roll that perfect spicy tuna roll, or perfect a Tom Ka Gai soup.

I am finally where I belong. I can now share my passion with everyone who wants to learn. I can impart my knowledge on everyone who who wants to accept it. I look forward to every day I go in to my classroom, and spend my days off thinking about how to make my students’ experiences more amazing.

Couple all this with one of the best Head Chef/ Managers I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with, and I’ve really landed my dream job. I am happy. I am at peace. I am where I’m meant to be.

Now that I am personally, professionally, and spiritually refreshed, stay tuned for more new and many more recipes!


Peace out for now!!!

Comments

Popular Posts