Chicken and Lettuce Wraps



I try to eat healthy food most of the time, but recently I’ve decided that I could most certainly use a few recipes that were lower in sugar and carbs. For the record, I’m not a fan of diets. I vividly remember the Adkins craze in the early 90’s, and the low-fat/no fat fad shortly thereafter. So this recipe is not Keto, or “low carb”, but it is a very healthy and lower carb version of lettuce wraps. Usually the chicken mixture is LOADED with sugar and a lot of oil. I have deleted the sugar and most of the oil, and added a few extra ingredients to punch up the flavor.

I also added to the nutritional value with some fresh zucchini, which added fiber and a little extra color. I can tell that this is going to be a new family favorite in my house, and I hope it will be yours too. Enjoy!!!

Healthier Lettuce Wraps

1 Tbs sesame oil
1.5 pounds ground chicken breasts (I use whole breasts and pulse them in a food processor)
1 large zucchini dice in 1/4 inch cubes
1 can water chestnuts dice into 1/4inch cubes
4 Scallion stalks thinly sliced all the way to the roots. Separate the green and white parts
3 Tbs soy or tamari sauce
3 Tbs. Unseasoned rice (or white wine) vinegar
2 cloves of garlic minced


Heat the oil in a nonstick sauté pan until it shimmers. Sauté the zucchini, white part of the scallions, and water chestnuts until zucchini is golden brown. Transfer veggies to a bowl and hold. Add chicken to the pan and pour in about 1/2 cup of water and blanch the chicken.

While chicken is simmering, mix the soy sauce, vinegar, and minced garlic together. Once all the water has dried up add the sauce and veggies. Toss together, sprinkle with remaining green scallions, and serve on lettuce leaves of your choice.

 I like romaine because you can roll it fajitas style and is super sturdy, but any whole lettuce leaf will do.


Comments

Popular Posts