Mini Meatballs

Hello from California! IE: Covid19 lockdown land. I’ve been out of work- as a chef instructor-for about four weeks, and I’m now cooking at home nearly every day. (We do get the occasional take-out).

Since I’m cooking more, I thought I’d start blogging the recipes as I go, so the world can enjoy them too. Today I’m making mini meatballs in tomato sauce. My family consists of myself, the Hubby, and my one child. Thus, this is a small batch recipe. If your family is bigger, you may want to double this recipe. Enjoy!

Mini Meatballs

1Lb. Ground beef (or 1/2Lb ground beef and 1/4Lb. Each ground pork and ground veal)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1Tbs each fresh basil, oregano, and parsley, Minced
Salt and black pepper to taste

Pre heat over to 375F.

In a nonreactive bowl mix everything together in a smooth homogeneous mixture.


Line and oil (I use pan spray) a baking sheet. With a one ounce scooper portion out the mixture.


With your hands, roll the ounce sized bits into round balls, and place on your baking sheet. You should get 20-24 meatballs.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until the internal temperature is 165F. Remove from the over and add to your favorite tomato based sauce. 


Or see my recipe below:


Lazy Day Red Sauce

1/2 onion, (about 1cup) diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2Tbs dried Italian herbs (if you prefer fresh herbs use 1Tbs each oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil)
3 each 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
3 each 14.5 ounce cans puréed tomatoes or tomato sauce (I like Kirkland organic)
3x1 inch rind from parmigiana reggiano (optional)
1/2 bottle good Italian wine ( Chianti or other good dry variety)
Salt and pepper to taste

Over medium low heat sauté onions, garlic, and herbs until onions are just translucent and the mixture is very fragrant.



Add everything else, including the meatballs, and simmer 30-40 minutes, uncovered, and  until the sauce has reduced a bit. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. If you want to make the sauce taste extra delicious add 1/2 cup turn fresh basil leaves, stir in and serve over your favorite pasta.

mangia e divertiti!



Comments

Popular Posts