Thai Barbeque Chicken

Happy Humpday!


Last week I tried going vegan for a week. While I found it an interesting challenge to stick with, and a very healthy lifestyle overall, it is just not for me. So to celebrate going back to being a "part-time" vegetarian, I made one of my favorite chicken dishes of all time.


I picked this recipe up while I was living in Tokyo, Japan. It was a dish that my favorite Thia restaurant served, and after a few tries, I managed to replicate the dish with great success. If you cannot find fish sauce or Sambal Oelek on the International Isle of your local grocery store, then you may have to make a pilgramage to your local Asian Grocery. I assure you, though, if you love big flavors, the trip is totally worth it!




Thai BBQ Chicken


This recipe is pretty easy, and you can use the sauce on fish, shellfish, pork, and lamb. I have not tried it on beef or game meat, but if you do try it and are successful, please email and let me know. Also, I often have quite a bit of the sauce leftover. It keeps well in the fridge indefinitely.

Thai Barbequed Chicken
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/3 cup chili garlic paste (Sambal Oelek sauce)
1 Tbs. ground ginger

Place everything into a high-walled sauce pan to prevent overflow. Over high heat bring the
mixture to a rapid boil, whisking a few times to prevent the sugar from burning. Turn the heat to medium and allow the sauce to reduce to about half of its original volume.

You'll end up with a maple syrup consistency. Allow the Barbeque sauce to cool to room temperature and lightly brush onto:
2-3 pounds of chicken breasts, thighs, or bone in quarters. (I have even used a whole chicken, that I roasted in the oven,with great success)

Grill, sauté, or roast your chicken as you would normally. There is a lot of sugar in this sauce so don't be alarmed if you see some 'charring'-that's normal and desirable. Once your meat is cooked through, baste it very liberally with the remaining sauce. Or you can cut up your meat into 1 inch cubes and toss in with the remaining sauce in a big bowl. Serve, and be happy!

Chef's variation:
1)Make the sauce and allow it to cool to room temperature. Fry off about 6 pounds of chicken wings-in batches- in 350F oil for 12-15 minutes...or until they are fully cooked. Then in a very large bowl toss your wings and sauce. Serve with ranch/blue cheese dressing and veggies sticks.
2)Use lime juice in place of your vinegar for a more delicate flavor.
3)Add 1/4 cup of SRIRACHA if you want an extra powerful kick
4) You can add apricot jam in place of the brown sugar for a more 'fruity' flavor

Comments

Popular Posts