Cauliflower Tots

If you've known me for any length of time, then you will know that-even as a Chef of many years- I simply have a tough time eating most veggies in the cabbage family. Bad childhood memories of over-cooked, stinky, gag-inducing mush will scare any soul off of even the most wonderful of veggies for life.

With that said, I have gotten over most of my aversions to foods like cabbage, and Brussels sprouts, but cauliflower is still something that I usually avoid. It is also one of my Husband's favorite things, so I do occasionally make a roasted cauliflower with lemon butter and Parmesan cheese.

The other day, though I came across a recipe for cauliflower tots. My kid asked me if I wouldn't try making it for her and the Hubby. I did alter the recipe a significant bit to suit my tastes, and here is how it went:

Cauliflower Tots (My new favorite thing EVER!!!)

1 Lb. Cauliflower florets
2/3 cup panko (or plain bread crumbs)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 cloves garlic-peeled and minced (please don't use the crap in the jar)
1/4 tsp. salt





Steam the florets for about 5 minutes until they are just softened up, but still al dente.

Allow them to chill in the freezer for 5 minutes to make them easier to handle. Put the florets into a food processor and pulse a few times until you have the consistency of fine gravel. You can also chop the cauliflower by hand, but it's a lot of extra work.


Place the chopped Cauliflower in a large non-reactive bowl, and mix in everything else.

 Place the mixture into the fridge for 15-20 minutes to allow it to set. Form the mixture into tot-sized balls. About 2-3Tbs.

You can form them into any shape you like; cylinders, cubes, etc...

This part is especially fun if you have a kid to help, just don't be too fussy if they are slightly different sizes and/or shapes.

Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Serve warm, and Enjoy!
















Cook joyfully, my friends!

Comments

Popular Posts