Mexican Restaurant Salsa

People assume that when you are a Chef of 20+ years, and have worked overseas, that you have somehow risen above what most people eat, and consume nothing but the finest (most expensive) cuisine. This is decidedly NOT the case! I eat In-N-Out burgers, Jersey Mike's subs, and Chick-Fil-A (please left-wing tree-huggers, don't judge me) as much as anyone else.

One of my favorite things to do on the weekend, is to head out to my local "Mexican" restaurant. I put Mexican in quotes because, I hear Spanish being spoken and I am sure that most of the staff is Hispanic, but I am also 100% sure that the cuisine isn't really all that authentic. I just live for their salsa, and even though I can make it at home, there is just something lovely about sitting under the sombreros and ponchos hanging on the wall while soccer is being played on every TV in the place.

I was at lunch in said chiché of a dining room, with my Bestie, a while back. She went on and on about how delicious their salsa was, and how desperately she wanted to be able to make it at home. That got me wondering how many people found this red, spicy concoction mysterious?

So for all the people out there loving that Mexican Restaurant Salsa, here is a recipe for you!!!

Mexican Restaurant Salsa

Juice of one lime
1/2 medium onion-roughly chopped
1-2 Jalapeno*-stemmed, cut in half (seed removal is optional)
2-3 cloves of garlic (please don't use the crap in the jar!!!)-peeled and crushed
1- 28oz. can of diced tomatoes
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped





Place the lime juice, onion, jalapeno, and garlic in your food processor. Pulse a few times to roughly chop everything small. Add the can of tomatoes with all the can liquor. Pulse a few more times to achieve the consistency that you like. Chill overnight, taste, and adjust the salt and spice as per your personal taste.

*You can change out the fresh jalapeno for a chipotle in adobo sauce, or serrano for a super firey flare. As well, if you prefer mild salsa, you can use 1/2 green bell pepper instead of the chili. It's salsa: Anything goes!!!

Comments

Popular Posts